Pilgrim Haven

From the pebbled beach along Lake Michigan to lush beech-maple forests that host abundant spring wildflowers to the picture-perfect creek spilling into the lake, Pilgrim Haven Natural Area offers a beautiful sample of lakeshore habitats. The property was used as a camp for over 70 years - first by the Camp Fire Girls of America and later by the United Church of Christ - and was eventually named Pilgrim Haven. A barrier-free concrete walk to the beach allows people of all abilities to reach the shore where they can enjoy the waves and sunsets near the water. 

 

One-third mile of easy trail through woods and meadows that leads to Lake Michigan overlooks and barrier-free paved access to the beach.  Scenic views. Swimming. Wildlife Viewing. Hiking. Snowshoeing. Canoeing/Kayaking.
Pilgrim Haven Natural Area is a HOP! preserve. Click here to find out more about this fun new hiking program for kids!

 

Pilgrim Haven Natural Area was acquired by Southwest Michigan Land Conservancy in December 2011 through a bequest from the estate of Suzanne Upjohn DeLano Parish. The site is 27 acres, including a stretch of Dyckman Creek, and over 750 linear feet of beach along Lake Michigan. The property was utilized as a camp for over 70 years, where it eventually was named Pilgrim Haven, before it was sold to Mrs. Parish in 1985, who purchased the property to keep it from being intensively developed. As such, her gift was premised upon Pilgrim Haven remaining as open space to be shared with the greater South Haven community.

Fire Lane L
South Haven, MI 49090
Phone: 269-324-1600
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
150 years
South Haven/Van Buren County Convention and Visitors Bureau
546 Phoenix Street
South Haven, MI 49090
Phone: 269 637-5252
$